Granita is an Italian frozen, sorbet-like dessert; this particular recipe makes lime flavoured granita with mango. A great gluten-free, vegan dessert to serve on a balmy summer evening.
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus 45 minutes freezing time | Cooking time: 7 minutes
- 150g granulated sugar
- Zest of 4 limes and 150ml juice (from about 7-8 limes), plus slices or wedges for squeezing
- 1 large, just-ripe mango
- Sea salt flakes
- Chilli flakes
- Put the sugar, lime zest and juice into a saucepan with 500ml water and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Turn the heat down a little and simmer for 4 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Pour the liquid through a nylon sieve into a shallow metal container that will fit into your freezer. Cover with cling film and put in the freezer.
- After about 40 minutes the mixture should have started to freeze round the edges. Stir this, mixing the frozen bits with the central pool. Continue to break up the frozen mixture every 45 minutes until you have something that looks like coarse snow.
- Peel the mango and slice the flesh from the stone, cutting close to the stone so you remove the plumpest possible bit of the mango. Cut the firm flesh into slices.
- Divide the mango slices between six plates and squeeze lime juice all over them. Sprinkle over a little salt and chilli flakes. Serve spoonfuls of the granita alongside.